04 December 2013

I have a thing in common with Tom Baker?

I read once that Tom Baker said that while he loved meeting fans of all ages during his time as the 4th Doctor on Doctor Who, the ones he connected with most were children...no more than toddlers, young children. He said he had a repertoire with them. Still does. It's never faded. Never dwindled.

I never thought I'd have anything in common with ANYONE from Doctor Who...especially MY Doctor. Turns out, I do.

There's something that draws me to children, particularly young ones. Not in a creepy way, but in a maternal way. There's something about me that lets them know that they're fine and they can talk to me without fear. Now, more kids are more talkative than others. Sure, but I can't tell you how many times I was told today, "He never talks that much to anyone" and "She usually cries when she's more than a foot from me, it's funny that she didn't with you".

I've never understood why I am the way I am with kids. I wasn't raised around many kids. I was an only child (with exception to my half brothers from my father, but I haven't seen since I was 4), and my first cousin on my mother's side didn't come along until I was 8 (I was never particularly close to my father's side with exception to one day of Christmas each year) and that was kind of it. That and the kids I met while in school.

Maybe that's it. Maybe it has to do with not being around other children my age when I was a kid. I'll probably be attempting to discover the reasons for the rest of my life.

"Doctor, you're being childish."
"Well, of course I'm being childish! There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

No comments:

Post a Comment